[Marxism] [Pen-l] An analysis of the G20 protest and the black bloc

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 09:30:49 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

In response, the police hold back until the main march disperses.
> They wait for some damage to be done, and then they go on the
> offensive. They round-up and brutalize everyone left on the
> streets, including passers-by, peaceful protesters and those
> engaged in property damage. In Seattle, Quebec, Genoa, etc. this
> script has played out over and over again. The police wait until
> the mass organisations leave, then go after the rest. This
> strategy suggests that the police and the state are keenly aware
> of who they want—and don’t want—to provoke.

This part, at least, is nonsense. In Quebec, the police response had nothing
to do with property destruction, of which I noticed little, or any
specifically anarchist provocations, but rather resulted from attempts by a
broad range of formations, including those associated with CUPE and (I
think) the Council of Canadians, to penetrate the secure zone where the
Summit of the Americas was occurring. The most notable thing about "le black
bloqué" was how much its strategy and goal - to bring down the security
fence - coincided with those of everybody else in the vicinity. I have the
distinct impression that Ritch was not in Quebec and has little familiarity
with what happened there. (The same is true of Seattle, where I also was
not; police there attacked peaceful blockaders long before the first window
was broken.)

--
lytlað."