[Marxism] [Pen-l] An analysis of the G20 protest and the black bloc

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 1 09:55:14 MDT 2010

Joseph Catron wrote:

> Oh, wrong Quebec protest. I was thinking of the big one, in 2001. Calling
> the SPP protest "Quebec" is about as confusing as calling some random
> protest in Seattle "Seattle."

Oh, that one. It's been a while. I remember the big hullabaloo we
had on the list with a character named Macdonald Stainsby who made
the fight over breaking through some fucking fence tantamount to
the Paris Commune.

The cops used that ridiculous fight as an excuse to tear gas
people with zero interest in anarchist dust-ups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Summit_of_the_Americas

Protestors who headed towards the yellow and red zones confronted
the fence. Approximately 15 minutes after the bulk of the march
reached the fence on Rue René Lévesque, the fence was brought down
by protestors, which the security personnel deemed a clear
security threat and danger not only to the conference delegates in
the area, but also to the police. A number of people moved into
the once fenced-off area, and a catapult that launched teddy bears
was rolled in. Eventually, the police line fell back and was
replaced by a second line of officers, all wearing gas masks. The
protestors were then repulsed by the police.

Police responded to the protesters in the "green zone" by firing
tear gas canisters, water cannon, and rubber bullets, dispersing
large groupings of protesters both violent and peaceful, including
teach-ins and teams of medics providing first aid to other
protesters. Other tactical interventions aimed at arresting
various perceived movement leaders and the expulsion of the
independent media centre and protest clinic from their locations.
So much tear gas was used that delegates were incommoded inside
their meeting halls. The security wall was breached on several
occasions, though protester incursion across the perimeter was
limited.

Protests continued into the night. In addition to continued
peaceful protests and acts of civil disobedience, some protesters
vandalized storefronts and advertisements and built bonfires.
Police continued to respond with tear gas, in several cases firing
at areas beneath the mountain where no protests were taking place,
as well as with direct assaults on protester positions.