[Marxism] [Pen-l] An analysis of the G20 protest and the black bloc

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 18:15:17 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Dayne Goodwin <daynegoodwin at gmail.com>wrote:

This third section was the welcome mat for the Black Bloc - which
> connected everyone in the demonstration to the Black Bloc's
> movement-destroying strategy and tactics.  And of course the Black
> Bloc's actions are the welcome mat, even the cover, for violent police
> repression.

There are worse things in the world than a militant action, supported and
undertaken by a broad range of progressive forces, followed by a violent
police response. Pretty much every anti-war demonstration I've ever attended
on a Saturday (with the possible exception of February 15, 2003 in New York
City) springs to mind as far worse.

As odd as it feels to have this very 2001 exchange in 2010, I really don't
understand this strange aversion to militancy on your and Louis' part - or
why, in the context of the Quebec fence action, you both maintain an
ahistorical obsession with a group which played a minor role in it. Is it
just because you dislike their politics? I mean, if it had been all trade
unionists and no anarchists pulling it down, would you have been happy with
it then? Surely neither of you object when similar events occur in the
Global South.

--
lytlað."