[Marxism] Moderator's note

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 19:01:47 MDT 2010

Well, I have one post left, so I ask for indulgence for a last comment. I
just want to point out that the conflation of Chicago 68 with Toronto 2010
indicates how the objection really isn't  to "black bloc" but ANY
demonstration of militancy.

Clearly, no "innocents" were jeopardized by the demonstrators in Chicago
'68.  Clearly there was no self-contained anti-mass sect conspiring to
provoke the police.  Clearly everybody knew what the police were going to
do-- and BTW that puts the lie to the Davis/Dellinger hokum that they could
have called off the demonstrations.  The police would not have allowed it.
The police attacks started before the Convention itself even opened, and
once initiated the attack were absolutely intended to continue through the
end of the convention.

But it doesn't matter-- all and any distinctions do not matter, which makes
it clear to me at least that the objection to the "black bloc" is based on
the same reflexive shying away from militancy and confrontation that was
used to dismiss  Chicago '68.