[Marxism] Comrade Leon Trotsky about his stay in Norway

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 5 09:04:36 MDT 2010

Grover Furr-FM wrote:

> It's the text of a deliberate lie told by one of Trotsky's witnesses
> (Esther Field), unquestionably at Trotsky's behest.

Sorry, as you can see it is difficult to keep track of such an arcane
debate. Here's Holmstrom's refutation of Field's lies:

By contrast, in the 1937 edition of Kraks Vejviser, printed at the end
of 1936, Konditori Bristol is located at a different address –
Vesterbrogade 9B (see Figure 2). According to Nielsen’s article that was
because the Grand Hotel underwent reconstruction in 1936 which had the
consequence that Bristol was moved further down the street towards
Colbjørnsensgade.43	These facts are corroborated by the affidavits
presented to the Dewey Commission.44	Kraks Vejviser for 1936, printed at
the end of 1935, shows the Bristol at Vesterbrogade 9A at the end of
1935.45	By the end of 1936 the cafe? had moved to Vesterbrogade 9B, as
can be seen in the figure below. This corroborates Nielsen’s claim.
Konditori Bristol remained at this address until it closed down in the
late 1960s.46	At Vesterbrogade 9A there were, at the end of 1936, also
three shops: a newspaper kiosk, a barber shop and a photo shop.

----

So, once again I have to raise the question of why Marxists should care
about this.

> Understanding the history of the communist movement of the 20th century
> is vitally important for understanding and dealing with "the pressing
> problems of American society and politics", of course.

Not really. Nobody cares one way or the other about a 63 page article
about the location of the Hotel Bristol, or the Moscow Trials for that
matter.

Trotsky's reputation will remain unmolested by such flea bites. The real
reason people find him worth studying is his writings, like the books on
permanent revolution, etc.

Those books are clearly beyond your intellectual firepower to critique.
You want to degrade his reputation by proving that he was a Nazi spy.
The only reputation that is being degraded is your own.