[Marxism] Scope and Limits of Theory: Provisional Draft

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:30:16 MDT 2010

"> Whether we call such a person a "worker" or a "proletarian", we are talking about someone who sells their labour-power in the form of a commodity to a capitalist.  So if a dictatorship of the proletariat, or "workers power", is still characterized by capitalists exploiting proletarians, then in what respects does it differ from capitalism?

> I would guess probably by the "political power" of the proletariat, but what good is that if capitalists are still able to maintain their economic power?"

Wow, Angelus, you really are thick, aren't you? Forgive my attempt at a good-humored jostling to have you see that the purpose of learning about different arguments in the perspectives on Marxism are not for the purpose of "communist critiques", but to forge an argument that actually leads to the dictatorship of the proletariat--workers power (the term I prefer because, well, actual working people today don't really like the term "dictatorship" no matter how accurate a descriptor it may be)--the necessary step in ending capitalist economic power. Unless, of course, you really believe that a cogent and lucid "communist critique" will just convince the capitalist class of the error or their ways and hand over power to an enlightened communist critic such as yourself?

I suppose this discourse really does show the "scope and limits of theory", huh?