[Marxism] Scope and Limits of Theory: Provisional Draft

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jul 6 12:25:37 MDT 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:
> Capitalism will _not_decay What Ricardians call the crisis of capitalism
> is merely the way in which the system periodically renews itself and
> arises refreshed and powerful, like the Phoenix, from its own ashes.
> Only Marx's Critique in the volumes S.Arteisan lists can establish fully
> this NECESSITY rather than mere desirability of an Anti-Capitalist
> Revolution.

This is really quite silly.

The differences do not revolve around moral versus "scientific"
opposition to capitalism, nor do they entail whether or not a grounding
in works such Capital is necessary. They clearly are.

Rather it is over the relationship between understanding the "commodity
form" correctly, which Angelus does, and the class struggle. This young
man would certain deserve a PhD in commodity form analysis if graduate
schools were awarding them (U. of Utah?) but he clearly does not
understand the class struggle, having put Palestinian and Israeli
nationalism on the same level. For that he deserves an F.

Furthermore his dismissal of something like Civil War in France as an
"intervention" really exhibits a shocking degree of ignorance about the
key importance of this work since it is really where Marx defined the
dictatorship of the proletariat. It is really the first example in
history of workers taking power. He might be indifferent to this since
they failed to achieve communism, but we are not.