[Marxism] A serious question

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 18:47:23 MDT 2010

You must have Irish blood in you somewhere Ian.  I too hate the hypocrites
like Clegg and Obama more than the right out enemy like Osborne or Bush.

Their professions of sincerity and love for the poor etc remind me of the
Walrus and the Carpenter and the oysters

'It seems a shame,' the Walrus said,
'To play them such a trick.
After we've brought them out so far,
And made them trot so quick!'
The Carpenter said nothing but
'The butter's spread too thick!'

'I weep for you,'the Walrus said:
'I deeply sympathize.'
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

'O Oysters,' said the Carpenter,
'You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none --
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.

I have also  been reading Jeremy Bentham lately and have been very struck by
just how much Australia is influenced by his ideas.  His critique of the
French Revolution, for instance revolved around the necessity to obey the
law and work to reform it.  He was terrified by the thought that there was a
source of power, such as the 'Rights of Man', outside the legal framework.
That style of thinking is so ingrained in our society.

Still it is worth noting that  Bentham is the author of the first demand for
the decriminalisation of homosexuality though the pamphlet was never
published in his life time.  He also favoured votes for women, though he
also thought it not politic to raise that demand.

I thought of Bentham and his legacy when we here in Australia got our first
woman Prime Minister, and also when I read the article in the Guardian about
Tory Party support for Gay Pride events in London. All that support for gay
and women's rights is paraded in front of us while they savage the working
class.

comradely

Gary