[Marxism] On the Naxalites

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 8 13:09:09 MDT 2010

Opening tomorrow at BIG Cinemas in New York (formerly called the
Imaginasian Theater), Ananth Hahadevan’s Red Alert: the War Within
  reflects liberal opposition to the Naxalite movement. I suppose
I was expecting too much from the film given the alarmist title.
Indeed, “Red Alert” is the kind of title you might see attached to
a 1950s anti-Communist movie, the second cousin of this Indian
production. At the very least, it prompted me to read Arundhati
Roy’s 25 page article Walking with the Comrades that appeared in
Outlook, an Indian magazine, last March. The contrast between
Roy’s reportage and the movie could not be more vivid, as I will
now explain.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/on-the-naxalites/