[Marxism] My friend Richard Greener's take on the World Cup

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 04:27:05 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky <nmgoro at gmail.com> wrote:

Though I was badly hit by the Ger-Arg match, I kept watching the World Cup.

> The match between Uruguay and Germany was more than a little bit
> better than the boring thing we had to endure today.

The match between Uruguay and Germany was one of the best of the Cup.
I wanted the former to win, and they almost pulled it off. Forlan was
the best player of the Cup IMO.

> Neither Spain nor the Netherlands deserved the places they got.

Well, I don't know about THAT. With pretty much the same squad Spain
defeated Germany in 2008 to win the european cup, and they totally
shut Germany down to defeat them 1-0. Was anyone else able to hold
Germany scoreless throughout the Cup? And what about Puyol's brilliant
goal off the corner to give Spain the win?

> And I say it in spite of my respect for Spain, who started mediocre
> and grew through the Cup.
>
> But please if this is actual Spain, fútbol is in deep trouble. I hope
> this match goes ASAP into oblivion.
>
> Anyway, I am happy that Spain got the Cup. The Netherlands are but a
> faint shadow of what they were.

You should know better Nestor. Yesterday was not a futbol match, it
was warfare. Netherlands played a very dirty match because that was
the only way they had a chance of winning. I'm very happy that asshole
Robben never scored, even though he came close on two separate
occasions. The only player on the Dutch side I have any respect for
anymore is Scneidjer. The rest should hire on with Blackwater.

Greg