[Marxism] Michael Perelman, International Economist Manqué

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Jul 12 15:16:44 MDT 2010

I see that PBS is going to broadcast a review of the world of George
Shultz. I fear that they will leave out the time that Schulz was
interested in promoting my career. While Secretary of State under Ronald
Reagan, Schultz's son, Alex, took a class from me. At first I knew him
only as a very good and personable student. Later, I discovered his
family ties.

Knowing that the sins of the father should not fall on the son, I always
had fun feelings for Alex. One day after returning from vacation, Alex
told me that he had a number of arguments with his father based on ideas
he picked up in my class.  He told me that at one point his father
responded, "that  man should not be teaching in this country."  Knowing
Shultz's position as Secretary of State, I awaited a call. Was I going
to be made ambassador to France?  Or perhaps advising the world a
rational method of organizing society.

After a few seconds, I began to realize that no such offer was on the
horizon. I would more good remaining in Chico with the opportunity to
other enlighten children of the power elite.

I never heard from Alex after he left Chico. I wish them the best and
hope that did not get entangled in the dark networks of Hoover, Bechtel,
or the other nefarious organizations with which his father associated.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

530 898 5321