[Marxism] Fwd: Re: Calculating Octopus (Was: A question to mathematicians)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Jul 12 16:33:59 MDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 6:25 PM, johnaimani wrote:

> <<On Jul 12, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone calculate the probabilities that Paul the octopus has
>> reached his results by chance?
>
> 1/28  =  . 0039
>
> Statistically significant at the 99.6 % level.
>
> Sheldrake strikes again!>>
>

> Since there is a disagreement between the number above and my number
> below, I will demonstrate my reasoning.

Unfortunately for your reasoning, Paul was only tested eight, not
nine, times (three games in the first round, one game in the round of
16, one game in the quarter-finals, one game in the semi-finals, one
consolation game, and the final game).  It doesn't matter much--a 99.8
percent significance level is not significantly different from a 99.6%
level.

> On 11:59 AM, johnaimani wrote:
>> 2 to the 9th power

Shane Mage

"The sibyl, with raving mouth, uttering things mirthless unadorned and
unperfumed, reaches over a thousand years with her
voice." (Herakleitos, fr. 92)