[Marxism] Iran and Libya: paper tigers

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:20:03 MDT 2010

Eli raises some important points about the military considerations
involved, and the other aspects of the siege (i.e. exports, jobs,
people's freedom to move). But even short of all out war, guerrilla
(or even guerrilla theater, i.e. symbolic) challenges to the Zionist
army/navy CAN be fruitful (as the Mavi Marmara was).
On his last point, what would a politicized Egyptian labor movement do
to facilitate breaking the siege via open transfer of goods?
Finally, see the note below which I sent to a couple Palestine lists today:
The Times today has a long front-page article on the daily lives of
Gazans under the siege. This, combined with the recent expose' of
tax-exempt US donations to settlements, is more evidence that the
Times is worried about Netanyahu's refusal to play the diplomatic
shell game.
But MUCH more importantly for us: Surprisingly, the authors mention
repeatedly that most of the people in Gaza are ’48 refugees. And they
quote several Gazans saying they want ALL of Palestine back (quotes
below).
It seems to me that as we talk and write about the siege of Gaza in
the future, it's important to keep in mind that the ultimate breaking
of the siege doesn't mean just Israel allowing people and goods in and
out: it ultimately must mean allowing every refugee in Gaza to return.
The siege cannot be said to be really over until every refugee is
allowed back.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/world/middleeast/14gaza.html?_r=1&hp

Relevant quotes:

[from Slide Show introduction:] "The Palestinians of Gaza, most of
them descended from refugees of the 1948 war that created Israel..."

[from body of article]"
“The Palestinians of Gaza, most of them descended from refugees of the
1948 war that created Israel… “

“Along with the leaders has come a new generation that has taken the
reins of power. Momen al-Ghemri, 25, a nurse, and his wife, Iman, 24,
an Arabic teacher, are members of it. University educated, the
grandchildren of refugees, still living in refugee camps… “

“…the I.C.U. was well staffed. In the office next door, there was a
map on the wall of Palestine before Israel’s creation. Mr. Ghemri’s
grandparents’ village, Aqer, is up there, along with 400 other
villages that no longer exist…."

“Ask Gazans how to solve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict — two
states? One state? — and the answer is mostly a reflexive call to
drive Israel out.

“’Hamas and Fatah are two sides of the same coin,’ Ramzi, a public
school teacher from the city of Rafah, said in a widely expressed
sentiment. ‘All the land is ours. We should turn the Jews into
refugees and then let the international community take care of them.’”

“Our play does not mean we hate Israel,’ said Abdel Qader Ismail,
24...  ‘We believe in Israel’s right to exist, but not on the land of
Palestine. In France or in Russia, but not in Palestine. This is our
home.’”