[Marxism] Photos from Detroit and Eastern Germany

Homo Indeterminatus homoindetermin at aim.com
Thu Jul 15 13:30:20 MDT 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 2:00 AM, Greg McDonald wrote:

> I'm really sorry I posted the link. it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think it was a fine idea, and I'm glad you done did it. I had seen these photos before and they are superb - a powerful reminder of what the visual image is still capable of in the age of hyper-capitalism and digital reproduction squared. Aestheticise my ass, I say, as long as it moves me the way these do. I say that as a keen and occasionally self-promoting amateur photog with exhibitions at two prestigious cultural institutions in eastern Europe.

On Jul 11, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Gulf Mann wrote:

> Haunting archeological photos worth a look, but the short intros to each
> section contain glaring writing errors.

Damn, can't you talk good English, comrade? Like, damn. Just kiddin'; see below.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 5:23 PM, FWC wrote:

> So we are teaching kids to write in sentence fragments these days? 'Just blurt any old thing out, kid, it ain't important anyway. We tried communication but it never got us nowhere.' I guess it prepares them for watching TV, with all those quick cuts they use nowadays, especially in kids' programming. Lest they have time for critical thinking. In one ear and out the next news cycle.

Gulf's comment didn't - and still doesn't - strike me as in any way intended to be a contribution toward the ongoing and very real struggle to teach kids to write good English, with all the critically important critical nuances good English both affords and demands. I say that as someone who has taught good English to kids. And taught it good, goddammit.

I found Gulf's comment to be not only comprehensible but perfectly appropriate on an email list for busy grown-ups. I say that as a busy grown-up on an email list.

Tragically, FWC's comments do actually raise legitimate grievances (root: to grieve; word to the wise) about the influence of advanced (oh, if only it were late!) capitalism. But context is, like, really, like, important and stuff, so they actually come across as the bitter ravings of a pedantic shit-bag. And *that*, my comrades, I say as a recovering pedantic shit-bag.

'Nuf sed. Like.