[Marxism] Anthony Bourdain on Harvey Pekar

johnaimani johnaimani at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 20:58:14 MDT 2010

  I watch Bourdain often.  My girlfriend and I even saw him recently at
UCLA where he gave a one-man show.  The episode from his show he did on
the 'border' w Mexico was just about the best argument for open borders
I've seen.

Though he takes potshots at the former 'communist' regimes in Eastern
Europe, if I judged from a non-partisan point of view, what he said
about them was pretty much correct.

This show may be on television and the guy may now be a 'celebrity chef'
but what I dig about the show is that wherever he goes, the first thing
he looks for is what are the locals eating.  And he eats with ordinary
people enjoying ordinary but extraordinary foods.  "Go where there is a
line" is his mantra and that is probably the best advice that any
traveler to an unfamiliar spot can receive.

The Cleveland episode I saw only once (and part of the way into it as a
matter of fact) but the graphics were outstanding: city scenes faded
into art. It would cheapethe graphics if I compared it to Leroy Neiman's
abstracted sports.  I would like to see it again (especially) now that
the below has tipped me off to Mr Pekar.

As I said, I watch the show almost every week (even re-runs which are
the majority of the time) and if I spot the Cleveland episode and/or the
one on the border I will post a notice in this spot.

Thanks for this.