[Marxism] Anthony Bourdain on Harvey Pekar

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 17 06:14:27 MDT 2010

Tom O'Lincoln wrote:

> Bourdain's show about the Plain of Jars was a brilliant indictment of US
> bombing during the Vietnam War, and would have educated a lot of people who
> would channel surf right past a more "political" program.

Not everybody likes Bourdain apparently:

Counterpunch Weekend Edition
October 16-19, 2009
The Coolness Factor is Wearing Thin
Rainforest Beef, Factory Farms and Anthony Bourdain's War on Vegetarians

By NIKOLAS KOZLOFF

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has never made a secret of his disdain
for vegetarians and vegans. In his best-selling book Kitchen
Confidential the former New York cook remarked somewhat amusingly,
“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are
a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.” After his book became a
hit, Bourdain moved into television and currently hosts No Reservations,
a rather unusual and unorthodox travel show which examines far-flung
cultures and exotic cuisines of the world.

Over the course of his career, Bourdain has cultivated a cool, bad-ass
image and during his program he sports a black leather jacket. On one of
his shows shot in San Francisco, he made a point of taking on political
correctness by heading to an old steak house and feasting on prime rib.
“To me,” he has written, “life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage,
organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth
living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the
human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of
food.”

A few days ago Bourdain took his relentless campaign against vegetarians
and vegans to new heights on CNN. Speaking on Larry King Live, the TV
personality remarked that we were designed by evolution to eat meat. “We
have eyes in the front of our head. We have fingernails. We have ...
teeth and long legs. We were designed from the get-go ... so that we
could chase down smaller, stupider creatures, kill them and eat them,”
he said.

The conversation focused on contaminated burgers that had sickened,
paralyzed and even killed some people who had eaten them. Bourdain
conceded that factory farms and large meat processors had developed
“unconscionable” practices which “bordered on the criminal.” Expressing
concern about chopped meat, Bourdain said “The stuff they're putting in
these burgers would not be recognized by any American as meat.”

Still, the popular Travel Channel personality could not bring himself to
turn against a carnivorous lifestyle. “I think certainly we could eat
better in this country,” he remarked. “It would probably not be a bad
thing if we ate less meat, if the ratio of animal protein to vegetables
changed along the lines of the Chinese model. But to talk about
eradicating meat is silly.”

At this point another panelist on King’s show, Jonathan Foer, rightly
took Bourdain to task. Foer, a best-selling writer and author of the
upcoming book Eating Animals, declared “What Anthony didn't say, and I
wish he had, is that 99 percent -- upwards of 99 percent of the animals
that are raised for meat in this country come from factory farms.” Foer
added, “When we're talking about meat, when we're talking about the meat
they sell in grocery stores, when we're talking about the meat we order
in restaurants, we are effectively talking about factory farms. I think
it's a wonderful thing for someone with a reputation and as much
intelligence as Anthony has to come out against factory farms. The
crucial part of the picture is to say to America, this is almost
everything.”

Foer is right about how enmeshed Americans have become in the factory
farm system. Yet, the discussion on Larry King about meat and its
downsides did not go far enough. Today, meat production is putting our
planet in peril and hastening global climate change. It’s an issue which
has been ignored by the likes of CNN but one which I deal with at
considerable length in my upcoming book, No Rain in the Amazon: How
South America’s Climate Change Affects the Entire Planet
(Palgrave-Macmillan, April 2010).
Here’s the problem which Bourdain and other blissful carnivores choose
to ignore: the world-wide cattle industry is linked to destructive
deforestation and our climate destiny. Worryingly, deforestation is
currently the second largest driver of carbon dioxide emissions after
the burning of fossil fuels. To put it in concrete terms, tropical
deforestation accounts for a whopping 20 percent of global greenhouse
gas emissions. The Amazon rainforest is of particular concern and
accounts for nearly half of the carbon dioxide emissions resulting from
tropical deforestation.

In the Amazon the cattle sector is the largest driver of rainforest
destruction, accounting for 60 to 70 percent of deforestation. To put it
in concrete terms: every eighteen seconds on average one hectare of
Amazon rainforest is being lost to cattle ranchers. As if the carbon
emissions resulting from cattle deforestation were not enough, consider
bovine methane emissions (or cow farts, if you want to be less
delicate). While much of the debate surrounding global warming has
centered upon carbon dioxide--the world’s most abundant greenhouse
gas--methane, which has twenty-one times the warming potential of carbon
dioxide, is seldom mentioned.

In Brazil, rainforest cattle has accounted for much of the country’s
domestic demand in recent years. But now, the cattle and climate dilemma
is becoming internationalized as the South American giant moves into the
global marketplace. So far Brazil has exported most of its beef to
Europe, though the country’s meat may have qualities that some markets
view as favorable. Indeed Amazonian cattle are certainly free range,
grass fed, and possibly organic, depending on your definition of the
term. Ever wonder where that hamburger you just ate came from? There’s a
chance it might contain meat from the Amazon rainforest.

In light of our climate difficulties, we’re going to have to reconsider
our dietary choices. The United Nations Food and Agriculture
Organization finds that meat production gives rise to more greenhouse
gases than either transportation or industry. Furthermore, beef is the
most carbon-intensive form of meat production. Consider: a one-pound
patty results in about 36 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, or
thirteen times the emissions from chicken.

But wait, there’s more: in order to feed the world’s rapacious demand
for meat, Brazil has turned large tracts of land over to soy production.
Soy has long been popular among vegetarians but it is now prized as a
quick, cheap, and safe animal feed for poultry, pigs, and cattle. The
Chinese and Europeans have become voracious consumers of Brazilian soy,
catapulting the South American nation to agribusiness giant status. In
China soy imports have increased exponentially, in large part because of
growing affluence and a shift in the local diet. For many Chinese,
consuming meat and dairy products symbolizes wealth, status, modernity,
and escape from rough rural life.

Though the average American eats more than 250 pounds of meat ever year,
the Chinese are now catching up and currently consume 115 pounds. Per
capita consumption of pork in China has meanwhile almost doubled. Though
China produces a lot of soy on its own, it is now the world’s largest
importer of soy to feed its growing livestock sector. In Europe
meanwhile, demand for soy has skyrocketed.

Though the soy planters cut down some forest, their influence is often
more indirect. Once ranchers have cleared land in the Amazon the soy
planters buy up property and move in. But as they take up cleared land,
savanna, and transitional forests, the soy magnates push others such as
slash-and-burn farmers even further into the forest. Soy then acts as a
significant push factor and catalyst of climate change. The farmers who
get pushed into the rainforest by agribusiness quickly find that
Amazonian soils are notoriously low in fertility. After several harvests
crop yields start to disappoint and eventually farmers abandon the land
altogether or convert it to cattle pasture. In addition to pushing
ranchers and slash-and-burn farmers into the forest, soy magnates exert
pressure on the Amazon in other ways. For example, they lobby for
highways and infrastructure projects which pave the way for yet more
deforestation.

In Brazil, it is large international companies which are fueling the soy
bonanza --- companies like Minnesota – based Cargill. It’s a fact which
apparently eludes Bourdain: speaking on CNN he remarked that it would be
“ridiculous” and “silly” to replace Cargill, a huge corporation, with a
food system based on fruits and vegetables. Bourdain has apparently
failed to consider the nefarious social and environmental costs
associated with corporate agribusiness. Perhaps he should talk to poor
farmers in Brazil who have been displaced by soy production and must
head to the rainforest to practice subsistence agriculture --- all in
the name of fueling agribusiness exports and expanding the global
meat-eating lifestyle.

It’s perplexing how Bourdain, whose show is easily one of the most
lively and intelligent on TV, has become such an impassioned foe of
“silly” vegetarians and their “Hezbollah-like” vegan cousins.
Considering all the disadvantages, perhaps one of the best things anyone
can do to tackle climate change is to have one meat-free day a week and
gradually decrease meat intake thereafter. It’s not enough, however, to
simply transition toward a vegetarian diet which includes lots of milk,
butter, and cheese--this probably won’t reduce emissions significantly
as dairy cows would still release methane through flatulence. While it
may sound a bit naive to think that people will change their eating
habits any time soon, such a move is certainly much less complicated
than getting people to switch their mode of transport.

Tony Bourdain has a cool show though his overall coolness is rapidly
wearing thin. Maybe he should channel his constructive energy into
lambasting corporate cattle ranching and agribusiness as opposed to
vegetarians and vegans. The host of No Reservations has a great
appreciation for traditional cultures and local folk. Why not air a
program about how soy and our unsustainable consumerist lifestyle are
displacing poor people while simultaneously fueling deforestation and
climate change? Now THAT would be a show worth tuning in for.

Nikolas Kozloff is the author of the forthcoming No Rain in the Amazon:
How South America’s Climate Change Affects the Entire Planet
(Palgrave-Macmillan, April 2010). Visit his blog at
http://senorchichero.blogspot.com/