[Marxism] Anthony Bourdain on Harvey Pekar II,

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 04:28:19 MDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, DW <dwaltersmia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think his statements have been 'brash', or worse, as well, or perhaps more
> honest but...recently he toned it down a bit explaining exactly what it is
> he finds contemptible about not vegetarianism, per se, but many of those
> that advocate it. He points out that he has a respect for those that for
> health or religious reasons choose not to eat meat. I heard him once lecture
> on this and noted that people who respect animals as well ought to be
> considered as legit but that's not who he is talking about. It's the
> culturally insensitive ones he's goes after. Those that lecture, those that
> *assume* theirs is the only position to discussion all others being immoral.
>
>  He's noted on more than one occasion that if he lived in India it would be
> easy to be a vegetarian and not even wonder why he is one.

That's refreshing. In terms of vegetarianism, meat eaters, and
attitudes of intolerance, I've actually encountered much more
intolerance from meat eaters towards vegetarians than vice versa. It
usually occurs when dining in a restaurant and I casually order a
non-meat entree. The ensuing discussion invariably descends into a
crescendo of accusatory statements regarding my intolerance of meat
eaters, when all I've done is simply follow my own dietary regimen
without even having made a statement about their own eating habits. As
if my own choice is somehow an affront. It's a somewhat imperialistic
attitude, to be quite honest.

All I know is, when I eat cheese I get asthma, and when I eat red meat
I feel bloated. My body is ok with fish, but we have to be really
careful about what kind of fish to buy, given the current state of
fisheries, etc. In my mind at least, It's much easier to saute some
homemade tempeh in some freshly made chili paste and basil. I feel
better afterward, I get all the protein I need, and I don't have to
worry about copper and chemicals in the ground beef or who the hell
knows what in the seafood.  For me it's a no-brainer, but that's just
me.

BTW, I don't even know any PETA people.

Greg