[Marxism] Barry Sheppard, Peter Camejo, and the role of the revolutionary party: A critique by Louis Proyect

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Sun Jul 18 15:04:39 MDT 2010

I generally agree with Louis's take, and with his tone. The
self-destruction of the SWP is breathtaking, but Louis is right that it
cannot be explained only by personality flaws. Probably people who leave
left organizations are prompted to do so by accumulating perceptions
that vary by individual and time. Like Louis, I quit the SWP, but unlike
him, it didn't take till 1978 to see the handwriting on the wall. The
bureaucratic top-down managerial style of the leaders was clear to me by
1973, but subsequently, I learned that others (e.g., Myra Tanner
Weiss...) had seen this a decade earlier. By the late 1970s, the Barnes
clique that ran the SWP had lurched into weirdness, a "turn toward
labor" (echoing the SDS tactics the same leaders had ridiculed a decade
earlier). As a top leader, Barry was part and parcel of the Barnes style
and policies, which included, by the late 1970s, some pretty shabby and
Stalinoid ad hominem attacks on people, members or not (slanderous
attacks on me were published in the /Militant/ in 1979, for example, as
the leaders withdrew from their episodic involvement in gay lib as part
of whipping the members into line for the "turn to labor"). But similar
tendentious distortions have been made by the ISO, which some think is
in a different (better) league than the SWP.
     Peter had some wonderful qualities, including, as many have
observed, his abilities as a speaker and his skill at linking radical
ideas to youth rebellion), though Barry is right to point out his
astonishing lapse of once supporting Jesse Jackson and the Democrats,
even if he later made a self-criticism (not mentioned by Louis). Such
lapses are typical of many leftist groups, and point to their tendency
to act like mere leftist prods to the ruling class.
     I do not know whether it was old-time leaders of the SWP, or
actually younger ones like Barnes, who turned against active involvement
in gay liberation. I have heard both explanations. The late Charlie
Bolduc, who was the youngest member of the leading Political Committee,
and who came out as a homosexual during debates on gay lib and
homosexuality in the SWP in the early 1970s, told me years later that it
was younger leaders, including Barry and Barnes, who were responsible
for that. On the other hand, since those days, gay liberation itself has
morphed into a conservative, patriotic, conventional, and
assimilationist movement, and the position of most left groups is
indistinguishable from that of liberal capitalists and the Democrat
Party--or of the SWP's (still unpublished) wretched 1973 "Memorandum" on
gay liberation. Barry was the main author of the "Memorandum," which
consolidated the liberal stance that today characterizes the position of
most left groups, including the ISO. His first volume of memoirs skirts
a frank discussion of this episode.
David
=====
Louis Proyect wrote: