[Marxism] anthony bourdain

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Jul 18 19:13:09 MDT 2010

I like Anthony Bourdain's TV show. He is surely the most socially conscious of all the celebrity chefs, and he
visits unusual places the viewer might have little knowledge of.  He treats other cultures with respect and is not afraid
to make politically charged comments. I also thought Kitchen Confidential is a fine, and funny, book.

But can anyone refer me to any of his shows that delve into the brutal exploitation of workers that is the stock and trade
of most kitchens and most chefs. He makes a joke of his heavy drinking, but the drug and alcohol use so common in kitchens, and so often encouraged by the management, isn't so funny. Bourdain is now an "eater" and not a chef. All that food eating gets a little boring after awhile.  And if the chefs and restaurants he highlights aren't putting the screws to their employees, I'd be very surprised.

One final point: if Bourdain moves to Cleveland, I'll buy everyone on this list a drink. I'd move there only if Michael Symon, the Iron Chef from Cleveland (and I think the best of the Iron Chefs) agrees to cook all our meals for us!!

michael yates