[Marxism] War approaching?

Fred Fuentes fred.fuentes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 06:47:17 MDT 2010

> Dan Russell escribió:
> >

> > Doesn't this end up happening every year or so?

Here is what Eva Goliner has to say about it
Fred

Venezuela and Colombia break relations

President Chavez ordered maximum alert on Venezuela’s border with Colombia
after the Uribe administration made grave accusations against Venezuela
claiming the Chavez government harbors terrorists and terrorist training
camps

The outgoing government of Alvaro Uribe in Colombia gave a shameful
presentation before member states of the Organization of American States
(OAS) on Thursday, reminiscent of Colin Powell’s “weapons of mass
destruction” power point evidence presented in 2003 before the United
Nations Security Council to justify the war in Iraq.

Colombia alleged that Venezuela is harboring “terrorists” from the Armed
Revolutionary Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army
(ELN) and hosting several “terrorist training camps” near the border region
that divides the two nations.

During an extraordinary session convened at OAS headquarters in Washington
on Thursday, upon request of the Uribe government, Colombia’s ambassador to
the OAS, Luis Alfonso Hoyos, presented television and video images allegedly
taken from computers confiscated during the illegal invasion of Ecuatorian
territory on March 1, 2008, which resulted in the death of FARC leader Raul
Reyes and a dozen other Colombian, Ecuatorian and Mexican citizens. Hoyos
also presented several computer-generated maps and photographs of alleged
members of the FARC, which he said were taken inside Venezuela.

NO REAL PROOF

Yet none of the images were authenticated or verified as reliable by any
source other than the Colombian government. Colombia also used satellite map
images, some from Google Earth, to show alleged “coordinates” where FARC
members are in Venezuela.

Furthermore, the photographs presented by Hoyos had no source
identification, dates or times, and merely showed alleged members of the
FARC and ELN in different jungle and coastal areas.

Venezuela and Colombia share a porous, jungle and mountainous border and
both countries have Caribbean coasts. The countries have similar
vegetations, climates and scenery.

Venezuela’s ambassador to the OAS, Roy Chaderton said the photographs looked
to him as though they had been taken in Colombia. “That looks like the beach
in Santa Marta to me”, responded Chaderton, after Hoyos claimed a photo of a
FARC member drinking a beer on the beach was taken at Chichirivichi, a
Venezuelan beach town.

“There is no evidence, not a single piece of proof, of where those
photographs were taken”, said Chaderton, adding that the “evidence”
presented by Colombia was “confusing, imprecise and non-convincing”.

The Venezuelan army verified and thoroughly inspected the locations and
coordinates provided by the Uribe administration on Thursday and found none
of the alleged “terrorist sites”, “camps” or “guerrilla presence” claimed by
Colombia.

Upon arriving at the first coordinate indicated in Colombia’s report,
identified as an alleged terrorist camp of alias Ruben Zamora, the
Venezuelan army found a farm growing plantains, yucca and corn. The second
coordinate, which was the alleged camp of FARC commander Ivan Marquez, was
merely an extensive field with no structures or presence of anyone or
anything.

INTERNATIONAL INTERVENTION

During his two-hour long flamboyant presentation, Hoyos called for
“international intervention” in Venezuela to verify the campsites and gave
Venezuela a “30-day ultimatum”.

“Colombia requests a commission of international members, including all
those of the OAS, go to Venezuela and verify each of the terrorist camp
sites and coordinates to see the truth”, said Hoyos, adding, “we give the
Venezuelan government 30 days”, although he didn’t specify what could happen
afterward.

Hoyos also accused the Venezuelan government of facilitating drug
trafficking, money laundering, illegal arms trade, attacks against Colombian
armed forces and even went so far as to allege the Chavez government
“squashes its opposition”, “represses freedom of expression”, “insults other
governments” and “violates principles of democracy”.

At the same time, Hoyos said his government would be unwilling to listen to
or respond to any accusations, insults or offenses made by the Venezuelan
government.

Colombia’s position is an echo of Washington’s, which has accused Venezuela
of harboring and providing refuge to members of the FARC during the past
seven years. But, the US government has also failed to present any evidence
to back such claims, and often makes contradictory statements, which appear
to confirm the lack of solid proof.

In March 2010, US Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) chief General Douglas Fraser
said that he had seen no evidence of any links between Venezuela and the
FARC. “We have not seen any connections specifically that I can verify where
there has been a direct government-to-terrorist connection”, declared Fraser
during a hearing before the US Senate Armed Forces Committee.
However, the following day, General Fraser contradicted himself before the
press, stating, “There is indeed clear and documented historical and ongoing
evidence of the linkages between the Government of Venezuela and the FARC”.

Possibly, Fraser was referring to previous governments in Venezuela, such as
those of Carlos Andres Perez (1989-1993) or Rafael Caldera (1994-1998),
which actually housed an office of the FARC in the presidential palace.
President Chavez shut down that office when he entered the presidency in
early 1999.

Or maybe General Fraser was referring to the specific requests made by two
Colombian presidents, Andres Pastrana and Alvaro Uribe, for Chavez to
mediate the release of hostages held by the FARC.

With full disclosure and complete authority from President Alvaro Uribe, and
based on his own personal request, in September 2007, President Chavez
accepted the role as mediator in order to secure the release of several
hostages held by the FARC inside Colombian territory. For that reason only,
Chavez met with FARC commander Ivan Marquez and assured the release of Clara
Rojas and Consuelo Gonzalez in January 2008.

But otherwise, the Venezuelan government has consistently and repeatedly
denied any links or support given to the FARC or any other armed, irregular
group from Colombia or elsewhere.

RELATIONS BROKEN

After Colombia’s presentation before the OAS, President Chavez announced a
complete rupture in relations.
“It is with tears in my heart that I announce that we will break all
relations with Colombia. We have no other choice, for our dignity and our
sovereignty”.

Chavez also ordered troops to secure all border areas. “I have ordered a
maximum alert on our borders. Uribe is a mafioso and a liar, and is capable
of anything”, he said, recalling how Uribe ordered the invasion of Ecuador’s
territory in 2008 and then lied to President Rafael Correa about what had
happened.

Venezuela accused Colombia of failing to resolve its own internal conflicts,
including a 60-year old civil war that has negatively impacted its neighbors
with violence and drug trafficking spilling over the borders. More than 4
million Colombians, fleeing the violence in their country, live in Venezuela
today.

The Colombian “show” appears to be an effort to justify preemptive war
against Venezuela. Last year Colombia opened its territory to seven US
military bases in an agreement that the US Air Force claimed was necessary
in order to conduct “full spectrum military operations” throughout South
America to “combat the constant threat of anti-American governments in the
region”.

T/ Eva Golinger