[Marxism] # Re: A response to Blankfort's hatchet job on Chomsky

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:32:08 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Ralph Johansen <mdriscollrj at charter.net>wrote:

But certainly, emphasis should be on divestment, as Chomsky says. Agree?

Disagree. I quote Gar Lipow, of Doug Henwood's LBO-Talk list (and a member
of the Olympia Food Coop, whose board recently voted to remove all Israeli
products from its shelves):

"And contra Catron[!], it does seem like Boycott, Divest, Sanction has to be
done in that order, just because that is the order that things can be
implemented in terms of power. Boycott can be done by very weak movements,
Divest by movements as they grow powerful enough to affect investing
institutions,sanctions requires government power and if we ever get to that
in the U.S. that means withdrawal of U.S. support, and no choice for Israel
except a genuine deal with the Palestinian people."

But I think my and Blankfort's difference with Chomsky is much more profound
than a question of strategy. Like crossing a picket line would make it
eminently clear where I stood in a strike, Chomsky's public opposition to
the form of solidarity requested by Palestinian civil society illuminates
his position regarding the struggle against Israeli apartheid.

--
lytlað."