[Marxism] Israel, South Africa and the single-state non-solution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 29 11:26:32 MDT 2010

James Holstun wrote:

> Louis, how can you have the popular revolution that you and I want in Palestine without guaranteeing the right of return for exiled Palestinians?

That would be determined not by anyone writing recipes for the nenw
state but  by the PROCESS of political struggle through which the single
state (or any other 'solution') is reached. Had  the discussion not been
aborted, I intended my post, "Scope and Limits..." to emphasize mostly
the _limits_ of Theory, the impossiblity of reducing history to an
abstrct theory. I'll get back to it sooner or later. In the meantime I
want to emphsize that "problems" like Palestine are not subject to
theoretical solution; they are "solved" through struggle. (The scare
quotes because the very words "problem" and "solution" summon up the
image of the arithmetic book with the answers in the back of the book.)

Carrol