[Marxism] Israel, South Africa and the single-state non-solution

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:21:50 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

Most of your points here are, at the very least, thought-provoking and
worthy of further discussion, but I can't go along with these:

Entrenching the
> settlements means a great big pat on the back for the very worst, least
> conciliatory, most violent political forces in Israel, the spoilt,
> fanatic racial supremacists who conceived the settler movement and made
> it into the formidable force it is today.
>

> To get justice, they confirm the worst of the usurpers in their
> usurpation--not only of land, but of scarce resources.

In response, I offer these passages from Palestine Note's interview of Noam
Sheizaf, author of the Haaretz article "Endgame" (
http://www.haaretz.com/magazine/friday-supplement/endgame-1.302128) that's
behind so much of the current discussion of this topic:

NS: ...This is something I didn’t put in the article because of the problem
of length. I sat with him [Rivlin] in the Knesset. He told me: “We are
sitting on an Arab village right now, you and I, and around the Knesset, you
would see the Arab gardens, so this place is morally right and the
settlements are morally wrong?”

He believes that both national projects, Jewish and Palestinian, have a
moral justification, and he doesn’t draw the line at the Green Line, he says
that’s completely arbitrary. I think many Palestinians would agree. Maybe
I’m wrong about that, but I think that many Palestinians would say “what
makes the occupation of Nablus immoral and the occupation of Jaffa moral?”
NS: ...The settlers, for people on the Israeli left, are the evil side of
the Jewish society. They are to blame for everything. This is something I
simply reject, but that is how they are perceived.

JM: Why do you reject that? Unpack that statement.

NS: Oh, because the settlements weren't a project of the settlers. The
occupation and the settlements are a national Israeli project. It took our
legal system, our military system, our police, our tax money, everything was
invested in this. And throwing it on 50,000 or 100,000 or 200,000 people and
saying that they are to blame - and many of them are just poor Israelis who
were looking for cheap housing - and saying that they are to blame for the
current geopolitical mess and that everyone in Tel Aviv can forget about it
once they are sacrificed, I simply don't think that's true. I think the
entire Israeli society is responsible for the occupation.

And that is something a right-wing person would say as well, which is
another absurdity.

http://palestinenote.com/cs/blogs/news/archive/2010/07/19/noam-sheizaf-in-terms-of-the-one-state-solution-we-re-still-in-the-70s.aspx

--
lytlað."