[Marxism] Two gangster movies

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 31 17:38:22 MDT 2010

Just by coincidence, two very flawed but interesting gangster movies
came my way recently, taking entirely different approaches to their
anti-heroes. Both open soon in New York and are worth the price of
admission, especially if you can get a senior discount like me.

Jean-Francois Richet’s Mesrine: Killer Instinct is the first part of a
biopic about Jacques Mesrine who was public enemy number one for many
years in France until he was ambushed and killed by 80 cops in August,
1979. It is deliberately and forcefully anti-romantic. Played skillfully
by Vincent Cassel, this is a Mesrine lacking entirely in the bogus
chivalry of the Corleone family in Francis Coppola’s classic. You sit
through 113 minutes of sheer brutality, mesmerized by Cassel’s ability
to convey malevolence and little else.

Quite the opposite, Johnnie To’s Vengeance is a highly romanticized
fantasy about Chinese triad gangsters being willing to sacrifice their
own lives in a quest to take vengeance on another group of gangsters who
left French restaurateur’s daughter mortally wounded, while killing her
Chinese husband and children in a raid. Johnny Halliday, a French
rock-and-roll musician from the 1960s–not a very good actor, I’m
afraid–plays Francis Costello, the restaurateur. The main appeal of the
movie is its stylized camera-work and noirish touches that To has
mastered to the point of perfection.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/two-gangster-movies/