[Marxism] Keith Olbermann: "Into the ttreets"

Dan DiMaggio dan.dimaggio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:02:07 MDT 2011

Apparently the Obama administration lives in an alternate universe,
where Valerie Jarrett can claim that "the other important point that
the president made and will be contained in this bill if it is in fact
passed, is he did not want to bring down the deficit on the backs of
people who couldn`t afford it, senior citizens, disabled, poor,
working families." Undoubtedly this will be an Obama 2012 talking
point, even though it bears no relation to reality.

Here's a statement from Bernie Sanders on the deficit deal, making the
exact opposite point:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) issued the following statement today after
voting against what he called "an extremely unfair" deficit-reduction
package:

"I believe that Vermonters and people across the country are extremely
dismayed that all of the burden for deficit reduction will fall on the
backs of working families, the elderly, the children, the sick and the
poor.  This extremely unfair agreement does not ask the wealthiest
people in this country, most of whom are doing extremely well, or
large profitable corporations to contribute one penny.  This is not
only immoral, it is bad economic policy and will cost us hundreds of
thousands of jobs.

"It is impossible at this point to determine exactly what programs
will be cut or by how much.  That will be determined later in the
committee process and I will do everything I can to defend priorities
important to Vermont.  What we can say, however, is that vitally
important programs for Vermont, like LIHEAP, education, Head Start,
child care, community health centers, the MILC program for dairy
farmers, Pell grants for college students, nutrition programs,
environmental protection, affordable housing, community action
agencies, small business loans and many other programs will be on the
chopping block.

"Further, the so-called deficit reduction super committee of six
senators and six House members will have the power to make devastating
cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and veterans.

"All of us understand that the current deficit situation is
unsustainable and that we need responsible action to address it.  It
is unconscionable, however, that this agreement would place the entire
burden on working families and some of the most vulnerable people in
our country."