[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 4 08:37:27 MDT 2011

On 8/4/2011 10:32 AM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> Counterpunch has always confused me since I know people who are published
> there and they have articles from people like Ralph Nader, but then they
> have pro-Gaddafi and pro-Assad articles...

Actually, this is the first pro-Assad article I have seen there.
This is much more typical:

Syria's security forces, its military, and its Shahiba unleashed
an indiscriminate and reckless killing spree on protesters. There
is and has been in Syria an authentic desire for real democracy,
for real economic opportunity, for elimination of the vast
corruption and privilege given to Alawites and particular co-opted
segments of the population, for a better quality of life, and
above all for dignity. Interestingly enough, the protesters were
not calling initially for Bashar's removal, but for vast reforms,
for real elections, for removal of the emergency laws, for release
of human rights prisoners, for a multi—party system, etc. etc.
Bashar initially ignored these demands in his first Parliamentary
speech, and then began to offer but not fulfill some of them. As
the killing continued, numbering now some 1300 people, with
thousands imprisoned, the demands grew for Bashar to go. Turkey
begged Syria to push through reforms immediately to salvage
Syria's political stability and block chaos in the region, but
there was no response.

http://www.counterpunch.org/hagopian06102011.html