[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:53:31 MDT 2011

 Eli wrote:

Joining in imperialism's campaign against Syria only MISLEADS them into
thinking that imperialism is some kind of noble force in the world,
practicing "humanitarian"intervention with its "humanitarian" bombs and
economic warfare.

My comment:  So when I talk about the butcher Bashar Assad, and I do, then I
am sowing illusions in the Imperialists and have become something like a
class enemy. So it is not possible to be against tyrants and for the people,
while at the same time opposing the ambitions of Imperialism?

We are doomed therefore to the stance "Bashar is a bastard, but he's our
bastard".

Comarde Eli, I reject such thinking. To me it is deeply anti-Utopian and we
have never needed Utopian thinking more than today.  (& Puh-leese spare me
the Engels stuff on Utopian thinking).  I oppose Qadhdhadi and Assad and I
oppose all Imperialist adventures. Is that so difficult to understand?

comradely

Gary