[Marxism] happy birthday Obama

John Glastonbury jglastonbury at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:42:31 MDT 2011

I find it hilarious that the market started freaking out after the
bipartisan debt ceiling deal. Funnier still that it did so on his 50th
birthday.

Did anyone catch the speech he gave at the naval yard? he 'challenged' the
private sector to hire 100,000 veterans by 2013, and promised still yet more
tax credits to hire unemployed workers and veterans, and promised a 'reverse
bootcamp' i.e. career counseling services for veterans. all of these things
are obviously marginal tinkering-at-the-edges type initiatives, but I also
can't help being concerned over the increasing attempt to elevate the status
of veterans; landless peasants who joined the Roman legions were given land
at the end of their service, hopeless unemployed marginalized citizens who
join the American armed forces are increasingly being incentivized to be
profitable hires.

at the same time, I also sensed a little bit of desperation or panic in this
press event...

as a birthday gift, I suggest that we mail Obama and the white house as many
copies of the last chapter of Wages Price and Profit as we can afford.