[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 5 19:57:09 MDT 2011

On 8/5/11 9:47 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> To restate: There are implications in this
> vocabulary of American and European lefties
> 'condoning' what happens elsewhere that need
> some serious unpacking.

I wasn't aware that Iran was in Europe or America. The guy you were
chiding is Iranian.

> What it comes down to, as far as I can see, is
> a need to feel virtuous.

But that's mostly what your shtick is all about, feeling virtuous.
Unlike the unwashed masses, you are *for* Ahmadinejad and Qaddafi. This
is a way of bearing witness that you would not be caught dead being
mistaken for Nicholas Kristof.

I understand that you don't write this sort of thing on Marxmail, but
you do on LBO-Talk and on your blog. If that is not about feeling
virtuous, I don't know what is. As someone who is a veteran of the 60s,
Michael, I am afraid you are still stuck on binary thinking of the sort
that generated the slogan "If you are not part of the solution, you are
part of the problem." We need a more dialectical approach. You should
read Trotsky's "Learn to Think". You would find it most edifying, I am
sure. Well, pretty sure anyhow.