[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Aug 5 20:22:29 MDT 2011

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 21:57:09 -0400
Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> I wasn't aware that Iran was in Europe or America. The guy you were
> chiding is Iranian.

Not "chiding," Louis -- another schoolmarm locution. Let's get
away from all that. Exegetizing, okay. Or deconstructing, if
you prefer. And of course the readership here is mostly Euro-
American, so that was the audience being asked to 'condone'
or not 'condone' Mr Assad's awfulness. Whatever 'condoning' means,
concretely.

> Unlike the unwashed masses, you are *for* Ahmadinejad and Qaddafi.

Not exactly -- though okay, I do have a strong contrarian streak.

It's more that I refuse to join 'against' them, alongside
Obie and the Predators -- which would make a rather nice name
for a rock band, wouldn't it? O & the Ps are more my enemies than Ahmadi
and Q and Assad are. To borrow a phrase from Lyndon Johnson, I would
rather be outside the Obie tent pissing in, than inside pissing out.

Does that make me 'objectively-for' Q et al.? This is a fine old
essay question on the Left, isn't it?

> you would not be caught dead being
> mistaken for Nicholas Kristof.

Guilty as charged, m'Lud.