[Marxism] Responding to UNSC resolution on Syria, Cuba FM restates bottom line: No intervention

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Sat Aug 6 09:42:34 MDT 2011

From: Fred Feldman [mailto:ffeldman at verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 11:38 AM
To: 'marxism at greenhouse.economics.utah.edu'; 'sv-circle at yahoogroups.com';
'snow-news at lists.riseup.net'; 'cubasolidarityny at yahoogroups.com';
'620peace at yahoogroups.com'
Subject: Responding to UNSC resolution on Syria, Cuba FM restates bottom
line: No intervention

GRANMA  INTERNATIONAL

In opposing the steadily increasing US-NATO intervention in Libya (most
recently the turning of the DC embassy to the onetime rebels,  I write as
one who considers the protests for more democratic rights and/or a more
democratic government, and the violence fundamentally the consequence of the
government’s intolerance of serious dissent.

But no one can ignore the catastrophe that  NATO intervention has created
for the peoples of Libya, for the prospects for independence, sovereignty,
and democracy for Libya, and the layer of sincere fighters who seem to have
lost all effective voice and control of and all sense of direction for the
movement on which many staked everything.  Nor should we assume that the
current level of NATO  intervention in Libya is impossible. While there are
many political and other obstacles to an intervention on that scale
(iincluding the so-far failed, though ruinous in every way for Libya,
imperialist war to oust Gadhafi), the UN resolution and other steps point to
more intervention in Syria.

It is worth noting that the Israeli government, which was initially nervous
(and may still be) about the results of a successful struggle against the
Assad dictatorship, has shifted its position to coincide with Obama-Clinton,
publicly praising the protesters as fighters for “peace” and indicating that
the replacement of Assad would be a preferable outcome.

Fred Feldman

US-NATO Hands off Libya!  US-NATO Hands off Syria!

Fred  Feldman

Havana. August 5, 2011

Statement by Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Marcos Rodríguez Costa

WE express our profound concern over the treatment of the internal situation
in
Syria within the UN Security Council, on the basis of the heavy pressure
being
exercised by the Western powers on this body to adopt decisions against the
legitimate government of that country.

Taking into account the experiences and precedents already created by recent
cases, which demonstrate manipulation of the UN Charter and the double
standards
which characterize the conduct of the Security Council, we express our
condemnation of any attempt to undermine the independence, sovereignty and
territorial integrity of that nation.

Cuba reiterates its confidence in the capacity of the Syrian government and
people to solve their internal problems without any foreign interference and
demands full respect for this Arab country's free self-determination and
sovereignty.

Havana, August 4, 2011