[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

anas abdelrahim shackup70 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 10:20:53 MDT 2011

 some in the "left" seem to suggest that if a certain ruthless regime wants to repress and brutalize its people, all it has to do is to pose as anti-imperialist. this tendency bespeaks a dangerous willingness to brush aside the voice of the people for the sake of maintaining that regime. Personally, I'm not confused as to whose side i take in such situations: people and I'm equally opposed to American and western intervention in pursuit of their petty and dehumanizing interests.
 The Syrian uprising needs to be seen in the context of the long overdue struggle for elementary rights in the region rather than some imperialist scheme. America and the west will definitely try to take advantage of the situation as the case in Libya and they will do their best to roll back the revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia but ultimately we are dealing with revolts fueled by legitimate grievances. it would make much more sense for the left to stand by the people in their fight against despotism as well as imperialism.