[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 12:41:44 MDT 2011

On 8/6/11 1:13 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> But again: what exactly does this 'support' mean? A willingness
> to express hopes for their success, on a Marxist mailing list?

Partly. The Internet is a powerful medium. There are numerous Iranians
on this mailing list. What would have been the effect on them if the
highest-profile Marxism mailing list on the Internet was cheering on the
suppression of the democratic struggle? This mailing list exists to
connect Marxists worldwide, even if it fails to repeat the formulas of
the Cuban or Venezuelan foreign ministry.

> One might add that the vague phrase 'democratic struggles' begs a
> number of questions. Doubtless there are plenty of honest
> salt-of-the-earth people in Iran and Syria and Libya who are fed
> up with their governments, for sensible reasons that are easy
> enough to understand. But certainly in Libya there's plenty
> of imperial involvement too. The Empire has been trying to roll
> back the Iranian revolution ever since it happened, and surely
> Israel and the US would prefer a more compliant regime in Syria
> -- though I don't get invited to the meetings where
> imperial strategy is worked out, admittedly.

In your intellectual universe, there is only imperialism and governments
that imperialism would like to remove. The fact that Marxists in Iran
would like to remove that government for its own reasons has not
penetrated that universe.