[Marxism] Responding to UNSC resolution on Syria, Cuba FM restates bottom line: No intervention

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 12:57:18 MDT 2011

On 9/6/11 11:48 AM, Fred Feldman wrote:
> GRANMA  INTERNATIONAL
>
> In opposing the steadily increasing US-NATO intervention in Libya and Syria
> (most recently the Security Council vote on Syria abn the turning of the
> Libyan DC embassy to the onetime rebels --an act of plunder),  I  consider
> the protests in Syria for more democratic rights and/or a more democratic
> government, and the violence fundamentally the consequence of the
> government’s intolerance of serious dissent.

Cuba lacks the moral capital to challenge the UN and NATO effectively in
Syria given its obvious support for the government's crackdown. This is
the kind of thing you can read on Prensa Latina, the same Baathist
hand-outs that are recycled on MRZine on daily basis:

http://www.plenglish.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=311906&Itemid=1

Armed Men Set Syrian Justice Palace on Fire

Damascus, Aug 2 (Prensa Latina) Unidentified armed men set on fire
facilities of the Palace of Justice in the city of Hama (in central
Syria), revealed official sources, who said that President Bashar al
Assad visited the wounded.

The president "praised the sacrifice of the military, who were wounded
by armed men" during anti-government demonstrations in several cities,
said SANA news agency.

Hundreds of masked armed men riding motorcycles attacked the Palace of
Justice and set several offices on fire, added the source, quoting
witnesses. SANA also cited a similar attack against a fruit and
vegetable store in Baas district, also in Hama.

This is the second occasion in two days that President Bashar al Assad
has praised his country's Army, which celebrated its 66th anniversary
yesterday, and is the major force in facing opposition groups described
by the authorities as terrorists.