[Marxism] How goodly are thy tents- really ?

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 23:22:12 MDT 2011

Avnery's piece on the Israeli protests is a good read.  I loved the biblical
bits- very elegant way of arguing in a region saturated in religion. However
I have also read Richard Seymour's rather more sober assessment at Lenin's
Tomb. The Israeli working class will inevitably come up against the
contradiction that they are a white colonial settler outpost with a unique
ideology which insists they have come home. So unless they denounce Zionism
and all its works and pomp, their protest is doomed to end with the bang of
more war rather than the construction of a society based on social justice.

There are interesting parallels with my native Ulster.  There the Protestant
working class almost united with the Catholics during the Great Depression,
but the government successfully played the sectarian card and re-opened
divisions between the Protestants and the Catholics.

Still my heart leaps up when I behold a protest. I am also intrigued and not
a little amused by the seeming phenomenon, that the Israeli state cannot
resort to violence against the protesters so readily.  They are after all
the chosen ones of God. Compare the reaction of authorities in Chile with
those in Israel and we can see the difference.  All the more reason why the
Israeli ruling class will have to resort to a war to discipline the workers.

comradely

Gary