[Marxism] The American “left” and the debt ceiling deal

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:15:21 MDT 2011

Tristan with Mark: "Very interesting insight! And, '[t]he best revenge is to keep focused on the principles and grow', I completely agree."

well, not sure if it is insightful or, let's say, hopeful. I  would be more interested to hear an elaboration on the concluding statement by the ISO: "These fightbacks--and widespread fury at Obama's swing to the right--are creating new militants who have concluded that a political alternative to the left of the Democrats is necessary. The challenge now is to link that sentiment to practical struggles in an effort to rebuild an independent left that's prepared to fight back against the austerity agenda--whether it's pushed by the Democrats or Republicans."

It's a question, not a charge. What is meant by concluding that "a political alternative to the left of the Democrats is necessary" ? What is meant by an "effort to rebuild an independent left . . prepared to fight back against the austerity agenda--whether it's pushed by the Democrats or Republicans"?

Tristan, I assume you are in or supportive of the ISO, so, I would be interested to hear.

Thanks