[Marxism] The Last Circus: a travesty on the Spanish Civil War

Daniel Lindvall daniel.lindvall at filmint.nu
Mon Aug 8 10:04:54 MDT 2011

Agree completely. This is how I dismissed it in a report from last
year's Stockholm Film Festival, where it was screened in a section
called "Extreme Politics":

"Equally superficial, on a historical level, is Alex de la Iglesia’s
latest film, The Last Circus. This is fantasy as pseudo-political
allegory at its very worst. The film seems to say that the Spanish
Civil War was not a conflict between fascism and anti-fascism, but
between those who wanted war, on both sides, and those who didn’t,
whilst making the organizers of the defence of Madrid in 1936 into the
moral equivalents of the Franco officers leading the attack. Enough
said."

http://filmint.nu/?p=984