[Marxism] There is a context to London's riots that can't be ignored

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:36:54 MDT 2011

'Since the coalition came to power just over a year ago, the country has
seen multiple student protests, occupations of dozens of universities,
several strikes, a half-a-million-strong trade union march and now unrest on
the streets of the capital (preceded by clashes with Bristol police in
Stokes Croft<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/25/stokes-croft-tesco-bristol>
earlier
in the year). Each of these events was sparked by a different cause, yet all
take place against a backdrop of brutal
cuts<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/series/the-cuts-get-personal>
and
enforced austerity measures. The government knows very well that it is
taking a gamble, and that its policies run the risk of sparking mass unrest
on a scale we haven't seen since the early 1980s. With people taking to the
streets of Tottenham, Edmonton, Brixton and elsewhere over the past few
nights, we could be about to see the government enter a sustained and
serious losing streak.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/08/context-london-riots