[Marxism] David Harvey on the riots: Feral capitalism hits the streets

Daniel Lindvall daniel.lindvall at filmint.nu
Fri Aug 12 03:15:01 MDT 2011

“Slash and burn is now openly the motto of the ruling classes pretty
much everywhere.
This is the new normal in which we live.”

I think there is no lack of passion and rage underpinning Harvey’s
analysis. But more importantly he, like some others today, are
pointing, I believe, towards a crucial fact: the majority of the
world’s ruling class no longer believes in capitalism and bourgeois
democracy. They know capitalism has structural problems that prevent
it from ever working well on behalf of the world’s majority for very
long. And they know it is killing the planet. They are, on the whole,
excellent Marxists, as opposed to the working class. I think there is
a relative consensus among them on this, which our fears of falling
prey to “conspiracy theories” sometimes prevent us from seeing.

I also think this is a relatively new “psycho-ideological” phenomenon.
I think they used to believe seriously that in the end capitalism
would bring prosperity to all through scientific and technological
innovation. The experience of the historical parenthesis in the
Western world that we might label “welfare capitalism” strengthened
this belief. Sure, they kept complaining about taxes and unions. But
seeing that they were still prospering and the working class around
them was also, relatively speaking, doing well, mentally reinforced
the idea of a humane capitalism. (Of course, if we would only
liberalize the economy everyone would do even better.) But the extreme
and extremely unlikely combination of historical conditions that
simultaneously appeared, in a limited part of the world, with the end
of World War Two will never return. There will be no new “New Deal”,
no new round of “social democratic” reformism. There can’t be. And
they know it. There really is no other (capitalist) alternative.

Knowing this, and having chosen not to even consider any move towards
a different mode of production that would impinge on their class
power, means that they are fully prepared to move along the path of
authoritarianism all the way to fascism at the speed necessary to
safeguard their position. The environmental catastrophe awaiting us
only reinforces their need to hold on to as much power and privilege
as possible in order to muster all the world’s wealth of material and
scientific resources to stay comfortably alive when our planet
gradually becomes unlivable for many.

What does this say about the moral and psychological state of the
ruling class today? Previously, I suggest, historical circumstances
actually worked to create a particular form of ruling class
“contradictory consciousness”, where both radical enlightenment ideas
(from 18th century “rights of man” to 20th century “reformism”) and
old religious morality could clash with the practical needs of
business. Today they are single-mindedly decided to hold on to power
at any cost, because that is the only way they can hold on to power.
This has obviously happened before, as in Nazi Germany, but today it
is happening on a global scale simultaneously.

Now, if you have read all this without laughing at me so far you
probably will now, but I can think of no better word to describe the
moral and psychological state of the ruling class today than “evil”.
Not Biblical, metaphysical “evil”. But evil as the product of their
social being at this stage of capitalist history, where they must act
with absolute ruthlessness or face annihilation as a class. They are
historically up against the wall, but this desperation only increases
their strength.