[Marxism] "Whites have become Bllack": BBC racism vs explosion

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Sat Aug 13 13:54:32 MDT 2011

-

I I have to admit that I am quite capable of  saying what the racist
commentator and (?) historian was, no doubt correctly, quoted as saying
in the quote below. Of course, my intention would have been to praise
the whites who participated in coming forward to take more of their
fair  share  in the fight .A step forward. I have always favored
assimilation going in the opposite direction of that which is usually
imperiously demanded,, and I  think there is a certain long-term
tendency in this positive direction  -- certainly culturally but to some
extent politically as well. I think the scumbag's comment reflects the
actuality of this tendency, as well as his search for scapegoats.
Fred Feldman

Ben Quinn The Guardian, Saturday 13 August 2011 Article history\
David Starkey on UK riots: 'The whites have become black'.

The historian and broadcaster David Starkey has provoked a storm of
criticism after claiming during a televised discussion about the riots
that "the problem is that the whites have become black".

In an appearance on BBC2's Newsnight, Starkey spoke of "a profound
cultural change" and said he had been re-reading Enoch Powell's rivers
of blood speech.

"His prophesy was absolutely right in one sense. The Tiber did not foam
with blood but flames lambent, they wrapped around Tottenham and wrapped
around Clapham," he said.

"But it wasn't inter-community violence. This is where he was absolutely
wrong." Gesturing towards one of the other guests, Owen Jones, who wrote
Chavs: the Demonisation of the Working Classes, Starkey said: "What has
happened is that a substantial section of the chavs that you wrote about
have become black."

An outcry on Twitter began with the Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn asking the
BBC: "Why was racist analysis of Starkey unchallenged? What exactly are
you trying to prove?" A spokesman for Newsnight said: "I think that
[presenter] Emily Maitlis very robustly challenged David Starkey.

"The two guests [Jones and the writer and education adviser Dreda Say
Mitchell] that we had also quite clearly took issue with his comments."

Jones told the Guardian he believed Starkey's comments were "a
career-ending moment". He said: "He tapped into racial prejudice at a
time of national crisis. At other times, those comments would be
inflammatory but they are downright dangerous in the current climate.

"I fear that some people will now say that David Starkey is right, and
you could already see some of them on Twitter. I am worried about a
backlash from the right and he will give legitimacy to those views in
the minds of some." On the programme, Starkey said: "The whites have
become black. A particular sort of violent destructive, nihilistic
gangster culture has become the fashion and black and white boys and
girls operate in this language together.

"This language which is wholly false, which is this Jamaican patois that
has been intruded in England and that is why so many of us have this
sense of literally of a foreign country."

The historian and broadcaster, whose historical documentaries on Channel
4 about the Tudors established him as a household name, went on to
name-check Tottenham's Labour MP: "Listen to David Lammy, an archetypal
successful black man. If you turn the screen off so that you are
listening to him on radio you would think he was white."

He was challenged by Mitchell, who ridiculed his theories about the
speech patterns of young people.

"You keep talking David about black culture. Black communities are not
homogenous. So there are black cultures. Lots of different black
cultures. What we need to be doing is ... thinking about ourselves not
as individual communities ... as one community. We need to stop talking
about them and us."