[Marxism] Nobody but Obama movement begins for Democrats

jay rothermel jayrothermel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:24:10 MDT 2011

....While acknowledging that “our people are hurting,” CBC member and
California Representative Maxine Waters said at a Town Hall meeting after
the job fair that the aim was not to “put pressure on the president.” This
would be harmful, she said, because everyone loves Obama, the first black
president.

 Because Obama is African American, Waters said, to oppose him would mean to
oppose all African Americans. This of a president who has presided over the
bail out of the banks; the devastation of the social conditions of the vast
majority of the population of all races, including an immense growth in
poverty and unemployment among African Americans; and now plans for
trillions of dollars in cuts to social programs.

Waters' promotion of racial politics is aimed at keeping workers tied to the
Democratic Party, while forestalling a unified movement of all workers
against the dictates of the banks and giant corporations.

“We’re supportive of the president,” stated Waters, “but we’re getting
tired, y'all… We want to give the president every opportunity, but our
people are hurting.”

Even in the largely sympathetic audience, Waters' promotion of Obama evoked
opposition. When Waters said, “When you let us know it is time to let go [of
Obama], we’ll let go,” several people in the audience yelled, “Let go!”
full article:
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/aug2011/jobs-a18.shtml