[Marxism] Four years jail for riot joke on Facebook

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 08:10:24 MDT 2011

Einde O'C wrote: 'As far as I'm aware the riot act was not read at any
of the incidents of disorder and senior police and government
ministers have been very careful not to describe any of the incidents
as a riot. This is possibly because there are profound financial
consequences if an incident is described as a riot - specifically, the
government - not the insurance companies - has to pick up the tab for
all damage, even for premises that weren't insured.

That's an interesting point; a real -- that is, officially announced
-- riot could thus be rather expensive for the government.
Nonetheless, it seems that in going in hard on the prosecution and
sentencing side -- some details here <
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/18/full-picture-of-riot-sentences
> -- the government is effectively treating the riots as just that
without having to take on the obligations of so doing. I've often
thought that the British bourgeoisie works in a very subtle manner at
times.

Paul F