[Marxism] Franklin Lamb : "Waiting for the endgame in Libya"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 21 08:20:54 MDT 2011

On 8/21/11 5:28 AM, Fred Feldman wrote:
> I continue to regard the defeat of the imperialist war against Libya as the
> preferable outcome, no matter what that means for the political and
> other prospects
> of Gadhafi or the opposition, The imperialist
> war, not varying estimates of the opposition or its components, is the
> pivotal issue concerning Libya today.

Back in the 1960s I was impressed how the SWP steered clear of "Victory
to the Vietnamese" type slogans. The emphasis was on self-determination
rather than political identification with the Vietnamese CP.

I see even more of a need when it comes to the Arab world where there
are no significant revolutionary parties of the left. Looking back at
the war in Iraq, the only thing that made sense was to demand the end of
American occupation. To have put all your chips on the Sunni resistance
was problematic to start with, all the more so when it was effectively
bribed to back the occupation during the "surge".

The Shias were backed by the USA but to view them as mere puppets was a
mistake, especially with the Sadrist militias that were far more
anti-imperialist in some respects than the Sunni Baathist formations.
Even today, there is some question whether Western oil companies
benefited from this war.

I am not arguing, I should add, for backing the rebels in Libya only the
need for caution and complex thinking.