[Marxism] "1493" reviewed

DW dwaltersmia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:08:25 MDT 2011

I never knew someone could say something bad about earthworms until it
showed up in "1493". That most of the old growth forests are badly
effected by an 'infestation' of earthworms was totally new to me. WTF?
I thought... apparently the northern forests of N. America need to
have the slowly decomposing "rufage" of dead plants and animals on the
surface for the health of a forest. That humans brought earthworms
from Europe and landed them in the forests caused damage as the worms
bring the decaying leaves, plant and animal products under the ground
which makes it harder, it's noted, for the trees above to make use of
their nutrients. Who would of thunk it?

I find all these books fascinating. But one of the themes I object to
is the idea, only implied, that this was not inevitable. That had only
Europeans (and Asians for some other studies) stayed where they were
that this would never of happened. That human's exploratory urges were
a function of class society (any class society) AND intrinsic
curiosity about what was over the next hill, makes it highly likely,
Columbus' (and the Spanish monarchy) motives notwithstanding, the
introduction of Euro-germs/infections was inevitable.