[Marxism] latest from J. Cole: interesting comments on working-class nature of uprising; also on a form of "Orientalism" among commentators

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 22 06:45:10 MDT 2011

At 07:47 22/08/11 -0400, John Cox wrote:
>full: http://www.juancole.com/2011/08/top-ten-myths-about-the-libya-war.html

I am not at all fond of Juan Cole who is clearly a (left-) liberal and a
rather conceited one. However I never called him stupid, and his answer to
these 10 myths are well worth reading. And really digesting, especially by
people so stuck in theoretical constructs from the cold war that they can't
believe what they see happening before their eyes (a revolution).

As far as I'm concerned, the question of whether this was a revolution or a
manifestation of an imperialist plot can be answered according to whether
the overthrow of the established order was an expression of the will of the
vast majority of the people. I have little doubt that it was. But if it
turns out that there is a long period of resistance against that overthrow
(that is, for a return to the previous order), as there was in Iraq
following the US invasion, then I PROMISE to write an apology on this list
for having been duped into supporting an imperialist invasion. Promise.

- Jeff