[Marxism] Obama's war for oil / U.S. foreign-policy motives

John Cox johncox519 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:18:12 MDT 2011

Louis Proyect wrote / 23 Aug 2011 12:27:58 -0400:

> I think that we should avoid the temptation to reduce our analysis
> to one of economic determinism. The US occupied Haiti, Somalia and
> Afghanistan where the economic stakes were minimal. Of course,
> those of a dogmatic bent will always find a way to spin such
> interventions (to prevent Haiti from becoming another Cuba;
> Somalia was close to shipping routes, pipelines in Afghanistan, etc.)
>
> When the US bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Stimson told Truman
> that it "would teach the Russians a lesson". These occupations of
> marginal countries are intended to keep the rabble in line by
> showing the power of the American military. It is of particular
> importance in the Middle East where democracy challenges US
> interests. But to assign some kind of economic role to every
> intervention in and of itself is unwise.

Yes, very good points; in a 1965 memo, this is how a high-ranking official explained U.S. objectives in Vietnam:

"US aims: 70% - to avoid a humiliating defeat  20% to keep SVN territory from Chinese hands  10% - to permit the people of SVN to enjoy a better, freer way of life. ALSO – to emerge from crisis without unacceptable taint from methods used."

1965 memo from Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs McNaughton
http://vietnam.vassar.edu/ladrangvalley/ladrang03.html