[Marxism] Opposing imperialist bases

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:28:58 MDT 2011

³Libya is an Arab and Islamic nation before NATO and after NATO . . . the
Libyans revolted from the 1970s against Western bases and there will be no
non-Libyan bases.² He said the revolutionary government is grateful to NATO
for minimizing the death toll in Libya through its air strikes [on attacking
Qaddafi forces].

I got a real kick out of this statement, since it failed to note exactly who
LED that revolt against Western bases. That would be, of course, a certain
Col. Qaddafi.

As for "minimizing the death toll," apparently he doesn't consider that
"Qaddafi forces" are actually human beings (much less the thousands of
civilians killed by NATO bombs). The idea that NATO minimized the death toll
in Libya is truly laughable (or would be, were it not that actual human
beings are dead).

As for the claim that the "new" Libya won't allow Western bases, let's just
say that actions speak louder than words. We'll see what develops. These
same people have already allowed in hundreds of CIA-type agents and special
forces from various countries, and reports are that the UK in particular has
hundreds of troops standing by for "stabilization" actions. We shall see
what this all leads to, but any claims now of what the "new government" will
do are, to say the least, premature.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com