[Marxism] A telling quote

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 12:40:22 MDT 2011

On 8/24/2011 2:33 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> Yeah? So's Iraq. Have they even had a government post-2003 that wasn't
> elected on a "kick out the Yankees" platform?

I guess it is worth posting this if I haven't already. I have been
so busy fending off the anti-anti-Qaddafi left across a wide
perimeter:

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/67414,news-comment,news-politics,operation-iraqi-freedom-is-completed-really-alexander-cockburn

Operation Iraqi Freedom is completed. Really?
American troops withdraw from Iraq
By Alexander Cockburn

The last American combat brigade in Iraq has left the country, so
the Pentagon is announcing. The 40,000 personnel from 4th Stryker
Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division began crossing into Kuwait this
very morning, August 19,. The US combat mission in Iraq –
Operation Iraqi Freedom - is scheduled to end on August 31. But
the State Department feels it necessary to emphasise that US
involvement in Iraq is far from over.

In 2008 Obama campaigned on pledges of withdrawal from Iraq and
escalation in Afghanistan. Addressing cadets at West Point
military academy on August 2, 2010, he said that the war in Iraq
had been won: "This is what success looks like." Departing US
troops will leave behind a "democratic" and "sovereign" Iraq, one
that is now "no haven" for "the kind of violent extremists who
attacked America on 9/11."

It's a bizarre definition of success. The Shia-dominated
government of Iraq is backed by America's demon of the hour, Iran.
If this really was a "war for oil," it scarcely went well for the
United States. Run your eye down the list of contracts the Iraqi
government awarded in June and December 2009. Prominent is
Russia's Lukoil, which, in partnership with Norway's Statoil, won
the rights to West Qurna Phase Two, a 12.9 billion–barrel
super-giant oilfield. Other successful bidders for fixed-term
contracts included Russia's Gazprom and Malaysia's Petronas.

Only two US-based oil companies came away with contracts:
ExxonMobil partnered with Royal Dutch Shell on a contract for West
Qurna Phase One (8.7 billion barrels in reserves); and Occidental
shares a contract in the Zubair field (4 billion barrels), in
company with Italy's ENI and South Korea's Kogas. The huge Rumaila
field (17 billion barrels) yielded a contract for BP and the China
National Petroleum Company, and Royal Dutch Shell split the 12.6
billion–barrel Majnoon field with Petronas, 60-40.

So either the all-powerful US government was unable to fix the
auctions to its liking, or the all-powerful US-based oil companies
mostly decided the profit margins weren't sufficiently tempting.
Either way, "the war for oil" doesn't look in very good shape.

> I Googled and read the one from which you posted an excerpt. Do you really
> believe that "the European Union will work hard with the new Libya to ensure
> that democracy thrives and lasts," Louis? Or anything Catherine Ashton says
> for that matter?

What is this supposed to mean? That there aren't a lot of
newspapers being started in Benghazi?

Here's another report although I doubt you will believe it since
it appeared in Le Monde. I guess we will have to wait until it is
vetted in MRZine or Counterpunch.

http://www.worldcrunch.com/libya-birth-press-freedom-benghazi/2971