[Marxism] Thoughts on Martin King's Statue and Tributes to Medgar Evers

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at hunterbear.org
Fri Aug 26 13:35:50 MDT 2011

(Apparently there's been a little controversy in some quarters about the King statue.  Some feel it may symbolize "the burial of a movement.")

I've never been a statue person -- most I'll have is an appropriate photo
portrait or two on an office wall -- but I see nothing wrong with the statue
of Martin King in DC.  I'm glad it's there and I think its transcendent
spiritual/humanist qualities will defuse any negatives from the corporate
money involved.  Martin King was personally a modest man -- not a saint --
and I always apprececiated his words, "There go my people; I have to run to
catch up."  His statue in good company means a great deal to a great many
people -- and I think the fight against racism and other anti-people isms
and the battle for a full measure of social justice for all, aren't going to
be inhibited a bit by a statue of  a man who fought, often successfully, for
everyone.  Jackson abounds these days with tributes of various kinds to
Medgar Evers, also a very modest and determined guy who saw an egalitarian
and interracial Mississippi, and those symbols of recognition and commitment
mean much to many -- and good efforts in the justice vein in that
historically bloody setting certainly continue.

Best, H

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

I have always lived and worked in the Borderlands.
Our Hunterbear website is now eleven years old.
Check it out and its vast number of links:
www.hunterbear.org

See - Extensive Personal Background Narrative (updated into 2011):
http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm

See this on the new (2011), expanded and updated edition of my book,
Jackson Mississippi -- the classic and fully detailed account of
the historic and bloody Jackson Movement of almost 50 years ago:
http://hunterbear.org/jackson.htm

And see Shooting Lupus, now expanded July 2011 -- my account of
killing a very deadly disease in an eight year war.  Systemic Lupus has
a predatory preference for Native Americans, Blacks, Chicanos, some
Asian groups, and women in general.  It's a civil rights issue.
http://hunterbear.org/shooting_lupus.htm