[Marxism] US "Militant" greets NATO-backed rebel victory in Libya

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 27 18:33:50 MDT 2011

On 8/27/11 8:02 PM, Manuel Barrera wrote:

> Paddy says: "Consider the situation dialectically comrades - and just
> follow events - FIRST OF ALL just recognise that we are just viewers
> from outside: it is Libyans who will decide - who will fight, and
> die, in the fight for a better society.  I - and I hope all others on
> this list - just hope, with all our hearts, that the best of Libyan
> common society will win out in the end."
>
> All I can say here, is Paddy, you're a good guy! Indeed!

On a Saturday afternoon in early January I had the distinct pleasure to
meet with E.C. “Paddy” Apling, an 84 year old Marxmail subscriber who
like dozens of others over the years have looked me up in New York City.
I believe that most have found me quite amiable in person in contrast to
my carefully cultivated mad dog internet persona.

I was particularly interested in meeting a veteran of the 30s and 40s
period since I share my friend Paul Buhle’s commitment to oral history.
I was also involved in an oral history project with an old friend from
the SWP who has done video interviews with that truly “greatest
generation”, namely those who stood up to capitalism and imperialism
during the darkest hours of humanity.

Despite being called Paddy, he is not Irish. As a youth, he found his
birth name Edward Chatterton a bit stuffy for his taste. Paddy explained
to me that when he was very young (5-10), he used to stay at his aunt’s
big farm house, which had three staircases (one with doors top and
bottom leading to the servants’ quarters), where he would hide from the
elders, especially the formidable Aunt Kate who would summon him as if
in a Dickens novel: “Edward Chatterton, come here at once”. This
persuaded him through a kind of aversion therapy to adopt another name.
The name Paddy came from a show in London in 1924 called “Paddy the Next
Best Thing” (his mother had been hoping for a girl.)

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/ec-paddy-apling/